- Pottery for Your Decorating Needs and How to Choose the Right Type
- 5 “Green” Gift Ideas
- 5 Activities to Do with Dad This Father’s Day
- 5 Gift Ideas for Motherâ€™s Day
- 5 Reasons to Go Green With Bamboo
- 5 Things To Do On Memorial Day
- A New Year and a New Space
- Art Around Adams Showcases Local Artists and Businesses
- Artificial Rocks: A Realistic and Beautiful Solution
- Backyard X-Scapes and Harmonium Partner To Serve Our Children
In addition to longer days and warmer temperatures, summer seems to also bring out a lot of un-welcomed pesky visitors in and around your home. Insects seek refuge from the heat and can find a world of resources and food supply in your home. Chemical pesticides are available to take care of these invaders but can also be harmful to the environment, you, your children or pets. Just like natural homemade cleaners, there are also green and safe ways to help take care of insects in your home. Here are some things you can do and natural ingredients you can use to help deter and remove common household bugs.
In any efforts of deterring insects, one of the things that have to be done first is removing any attractants. Ants are usually in search of food and water. Clean up floors and counters of any crumbs or food stains. Water sources such as faucet drips, left out cups of water or soaking dishes will also invite ants, so be sure to keep things dry or sealed. Here are some more tips if you already have an ant problem.
- Cucumbers, especially bitter ones, are a natural repellent to ants. Cut slices of the cucumber and skin to leave at points of entry or along their pathways.
- Leave garlic cloves or mint tea bags at highly active areas.
- At night for areas of high ant activity, leave a low wattage night light on. The change in light patterns can help discourage their rummaging patterns.