March 2015 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Tag Archives: groggy
Three day weekends are glorious gifts bestowed upon us as good worker bees. We look forward to them, plan special events for them and usually exert more energy over those three days than most other three day periods. However, Tuesday arrives all too quickly for most of us and even though we have a short week ahead, we pay the price for our weekend indulgences. Here are some quick tips to ramp up your energy during the workday until you can repay the sleep bank the next weekend:
1. Get up and move around. When you feel your eyes drooping midday, take a walk. Go on a tour of the bathroom and water cooler; then take the long way back to your desk. Even standing up at your cubicle and doing a few calf raises or arm circles will get your blood flowing and leave you feeling energized.
2. See the sun. If you can’t see the sun from your desk, make an effort to get outside at lunch or on breaks. Our bodies need Vitamin D from the sun for a reason and a lack of it can result in sluggishness and fatigue. If possible, work with the blinds or windows open and reap all the benefits of natural light and air.
3. Aromatherapy. Scents like basil, peppermint and lemon have been proven to improve concentration and energy levels. Burn a candle, rub some massage oil on your elbows and knees or simple take a whiff from a bottle of essential oil when you start feeling drowsy.
4. Drink Water. Dehydration causes the blood to thicken and makes the heart pump harder to circulate it throughout the body – you exert more energy even when you are sitting still. Maintaining good hydration keeps the blood moving easily and allows you to exert more energy on the tasks at hand.
5. Douse Your Face in Cold Water. If it won’t ruin your makeup, a quick dunk in the sink will really wake up your senses for the short term. If it will ruin your makeup, a cold, damp paper towel dabbed on your face and neck works just as well.