- Pottery for Your Decorating Needs and How to Choose the Right Type
- 5 “Green” Gift Ideas
- 5 Activities to Do with Dad This Father’s Day
- 5 Gift Ideas for Motherâ€™s Day
- 5 Reasons to Go Green With Bamboo
- 5 Things To Do On Memorial Day
- A New Year and a New Space
- Art Around Adams Showcases Local Artists and Businesses
- Artificial Rocks: A Realistic and Beautiful Solution
- Backyard X-Scapes and Harmonium Partner To Serve Our Children
Over the past several months, we have kept you up to date on all things bamboo. From computer packaging made from recycled paper and bamboo to bamboo computer and iPhone shells or cases. Bamboo is gaining popularity in all sectors of the economy for its green growing practices, strength, beauty and versatility. The latest and greatest â€śgreenâ€ť computer accessory is the bamboo laptop case for the MacBook Pro.
The Silva MacBook Pro case is built to fit the 13â€ť or 15â€ť MacBooks and is made entirely of eco-friendly caramel-colored bamboo. The solid bamboo case weighs about 2 pounds after it is cut, assembled and sanded by hand. A leather handle is also entirely handcrafted, providing a comfortable and secure grip. The bamboo fiber is accentuated with tung oil and finished in polyurethane to harden the case and make it shine. The briefcase style carrier is lined with wool to protect the computer from scratches and provide additional resistance to impact, even if the case itself doesnâ€™t make it through a hard fall.
So if youâ€™re looking to further â€śgreenâ€ť your way of life or just your office, consider investing $180 in a solid bamboo MacBook case. The company is looking to expand into other cases for Apply products soon; keep your eyes peeled for more eco-friendly tech updates.
Earth Day is Friday April 22. This holiday has been celebrated every year on this day since 1970 to raise awareness about the needs of the Earth we all share and the trials and tribulations we put it through on a daily basis. Do your part this year and celebrate the earth in a fun and proactive way. Stumped on how to actively participate? Here are some ideas and inspiration:
1. Plant a tree. Perhaps the most obvious of celebratory acts, this can be a fun activity for the family or as a moment of zen for yourself. If you donâ€™t have a place in the yard for a tree, plant some flowers or something small outside or in a planter. Hanging or potted plants will add someÂ life to the living room, kitchen or even to the office. Additionally, youre new plants willÂ clean the air around themÂ and the Mother Nature will thank you.
2. Turn Things Off. Perhaps this is the easiest of all Earth Day actions. Simply turn off the lights when you leave a room, turn off and unplug appliances when youâ€™re done with them and turn off the heater or air conditioner when youâ€™re not home. Take things a step further and install sensor lights or solar lighting toÂ save valuable electricity and avoid jamming the power grid.
3. Enjoy the outdoors. Take the family on a nature hike or plan a picnic. Enjoying the outdoors will reinforce your commitment to it and remind you why it is important for all of us to protect it. Being outdoors will probably improve your overall mood and if youâ€™re being active outside, you can get your workout out of the way too.
Backyard X-Scapes recently partnered with the Granite Hills High School Surf Team to furnish their annual banquet and fundraiser. The surf teamâ€™s year end event was island-themed, appropriate to demonstrateÂ theirÂ love and respect forÂ the ocean and the culture thatÂ surrounds it. The team borrowed various tiki masks, tropical signs and other pieces of tropical dĂ©cor from Backyard X-Scapes to add a little extra spark to the decorations.
The event was held in the DreamCatcher at Viejas on Wednesday March 30 and drew an event-high 125 guests. The banquet is the teamâ€™s main fundraiser for the year and they were able to raise thousands of dollars through a well-stocked silent auction. Prizes included various types of surf equipment such as wetsuits, leashes, boards and beach chairs as well as larger prizes like a 3 day stay at the Mission Beach House on the Boardwalk and 2 beach cruisers. The proceeds from the banquet will be the operating money for the Granite Hill High School Surf Teamâ€™s 2011-2012 school year as they do not receive any school funding for the program.
Backyard X-Scapes was happy to help the Granite Hills High School Surf Team in whatever way they needed. It is unfortunate that so many school-associated, extra-curricular activities in California and nationwide require donations from outside and private sources for almost 100% of their funding. We are glad to have been a part of making the students banquet a memorable one and hope that our tropical dĂ©cor and tiki decorations only added to the good time had by all.
The Granite Hills High School Surf Team has three more surf contests and a state championship coming up before the end of the school year. To see how they do, visit their facebook page and be sure to check out the Backyard X-Scapes banner on their website!
Hopefully, you are finishing up your spring cleaning and getting your house, backyard, body, mind and spirit ready for summer. But letâ€™s not allow our forward-looking thinking attitudeÂ get ahead of our old New Yearâ€™s Resolution to live more â€śgreenâ€ť this year. Implement these three simple ways to save your health, electricity and gas.
1.) Save Your Health. If you wear your shoes in the house and allow your guests to, consider adopting a â€śno shoes insideâ€ť policy. Dirt and germs attached to bottom of your shoes gets tracked onto your clean, green carpet and floors. This means increased toxins in the air you breathe and on the ground on which you play. Plus, it means less time and effort spent vacuuming, mopping and sweeping.
2.) Save Electricity. Replace your old desktop computer with a compact little laptop. Laptops use less energy when they are plugged in and donâ€™t have to be plugged in constantly. Remember that even when a device is off, if it is plugged in, it is still consuming electricity.
3.) Save Gas. Do you have stuff in your trunk you havenâ€™t seen in over six months? Cleaning out your trunk and backseat will rid your car of unnecessary pounds, saving gas.
Use three simple tips to revamp your commitment to green living. Even if you have fallen out of the habit recently, even the smallest steps can get you back on track.